After you have had a tooth or teeth extracted, there will be an initial healing period of one to two weeks. You will most likely experience some swelling and discomfort for the first 48 hours after the extraction.
We recommend that you:
- Avoid chewing until the anesthetic wears off
- Use an ice pack or cold compress to help decrease swelling and manage discomfort
- Do not touch the extraction site with your tongue or fingers
- Do not drink through a straw
- Do not swish and spit vigorously
- If possible, avoid blowing your nose or sneezing violently
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of the surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products for several days after the surgery
- Avoid strenuous activities for the first 24 hours after your procedure, and keep your head elevated
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours
If you have any questions about our post-op instructions or tooth extractions in South San Francisco, California, or to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Angela Leung, our experienced endodontist, please contact our office at 415-681-2697.
Please contact us immediately if you are in extreme pain or if you have persistent or severe bleeding.